Tuesday, April 10, 2007

$50.00

Today I have another appointment with the hematologist. It is a follow up visit. He wants to check my white blood count to be sure that the white count is, at very least, not increasing. Each and every time I walk through his doors, it costs me $50.00. That is more painful than the lousy blood sucker his office has employed who can't seem to draw blood without administering pain. I am no baby when it comes to having blood drawn. It is no big deal to me. I have had so much blood sucked out of me since September, that I am a pro. Nowhere, not the local hospital, not Cleveland Clinic, not the family doctor's office has anyone hurt me as much as the blood sucker at his office. Irony? I think so. This is a HEMATOLOGIST 'S office. They specialize in BLOOD! For goodness sake, hire a decent blood sucker!

The hematologist has given the OK for me to finally begin the MS medication Avonex. Ah, a double -edged sword. I want to start the medication. I certainly don't want the MS to get any worse if I can help prevent it. However, the medicine itself is a bad boy and will likely give me flu-like symptoms during the first 24 hours after I take my shot each week. Hopefully, with each week I take it, my body will become more accustomed to it and the flu symptoms will decrease. Avonex is an interferon which can cause depression, so if any of you who read this think I sound like I'm ready to jump off a bridge, give me the heads up before I jump so that I can spend another chunk of money every month to buy an antidepressant. I quite frankly, think the two should be packaged together with one drug bill for the month. Here you go Ms. Spano. Here is your Avonex and here is your bridge-diving prevention medicine. Makes sense to me!

On the bright side, maybe all this medicine buying will help me lose weight. How will I have money for groceries after buying all those drugs? Being sick is expensive!

1 comment:

Carolyn (Cari) Foster Spano said...

Not really much new to tell about my visit to the hematologist. My white blood cell count was still elevated, about 13,000. There is still no apparent reason why. I see him again in a few weeks and then we will talk about setting up a CAT Scan for my abdomen, just to do a "hunt and see". When I know, you'll know!