Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Day Approaches

Finally, after seven months I am going to start treatment for MS. On Monday, I will return to the Mellen Center in Cleveland to begin treatment. Hopefully, this time I will go to the Mellen Center without being a big cry baby. MS is what it is, and no amount of whining about it or getting sad from seeing others in wheelchairs is ever going to make it go away. I can still walk, I can still talk, so I just need to quit whining and be thankful for what I am still able to do. It's not cancer. I didn't lose a child.

I have a little bit of fear at starting the medication. The last time I took medication for MS, I spent the next three months just trying to get back on my feet. Coincidence or not, my mind still remembers having to lie on my side for two weeks, so in my tiny non-medical lesion-laced brain, there is a connection. This is an entirely different medication. I talked about it in my last blog entry. It is called Avonex. Its job is to help reduce the chances of me getting new lesions and to hopefully reduce the number of flareups that I have.

Flu symptoms are the most common side effect of the drug and they may last for up to 24 hours after receiving the shot, which by the way I wasn't all that worried about until yesterday when I watched the DVD from the drug company. That sucker is big and I have to poke it into the muscle of my own leg once a week. I was expecting a tiny little needle like my husband uses for his insulin. Needles, shots, IVs, blood draws...None of that has ever been a very big deal to me. I just pick a point and focus and it is over. However, it is going to be hard to pick a point and focus when I have to focus on shooting myself in the leg. I feel the tension rising!
(For some reason, that sentence, each and every time I read it, makes me start to sing CCR's song Bad Moon Rising in my head. I see a bad moon a rising, I see trouble all the way. I hope it's not an omen!) I am curious to see how the flu symptom side effects (fever, chills, aches, headache) will effect me. I seldom get a fever. Even when I am seriously sick, a fever seldom accompanies my illness.

I am going to be a part of the bio marker study for Avonex. I will have to complete a couple of tests, putting pegs in holes, walking (and just for the record, you never walk the way you really walk when you know someone is watching you. OK, that was a hard sentence to put together, but you know what I mean, right?) and I have to listen to a CD, all the while adding up some numbers. My ability to hold onto things in my slightly holey brain may cause me a little problem there. If I can see it, I do OK. However, trying to hold onto some number as it slips and slides around in my less-than-perfect brain might be a problem. I guess that is the whole point of the test.

I sort of wish they wouldn't call them tests. Maybe they should call them evaluations or anything besides TESTS. The 11th grader in me who was always good with numbers yet struggled in trig (bad bad teacher) comes sashaying out in her Gloria Vanderbilt jeans, swinging her Farrah Fawcett hair and asking "What need will I ever have for this in the REAL world".

I will also have a neuro exam (again a word that really means TEST) from the dancing neurologist (who I am determined to show that I am not really a basket case about to take a dive off a bridge over raging waters), and an MRI. We all know by now how I feel about MRIs. Just bring on the drugs!

So, wish me luck. I'll update as soon as it is behind me.

[On a side note...I have spoken to many people associated with the Avonex drug over the last few days and they have all been wonderfully kind, knowledgeable and helpful. Score 1 for Avonex!]

No comments: