Thursday, March 22, 2007

I'm Not Dying Today...

So, yesterday I had another appointment with the infamous hematologist. During my previous visit he wrote a prescription for a few scary blood tests that had to be performed at a hospital. Yesterday I received the results of those tests. Two of the tests were leukemia tests. The results for one of the Leukemia tests was back and thankfully it was negative. Although the results for the second test for leukemia wasn't actually back, (the Philadelphia Chromosome test) the doctor said that based on the other results, he didn't anticipate there being a problem with it. This is all excellent news. For three weeks I have had to walk around knowing I was being tested for Leukemia. Not fun!

There is however, still no explanation for my elevated white blood cell count. The doctor suggested a CAT Scan on my abdomen and pelvis to eliminate the possibility of a problem there. I swear, I am just their science project! I think I will talk to my gyne and see what he thinks of that! Why shouldn't he be in on the fun.

The Mellen Center at Cleveland Clinic called yesterday regarding the research program for the MS drug, Avonex. They are still trying to get everything lined up, but it shouldn't be too long now before I begin the MS medication. Even if they decide they don't want me in the research program because of the WBC issues, I should still start the medication relatively soon. If I am chosen to participate in the research program I will have to stay overnight at Cleveland Clinic the first time I take the medication so they can monitor me closely and do blood work 12 hours after the injection. Avonex is only available as a weekly injection at this time. REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT!

I just wanted to give everyone an update. Sorry it isn't very clever. Not feeling extremely clever today.

No comments: