Thursday, April 26, 2007

Is it Live or is it Avonex?

Lab Rat Coordinator #1 called today to have me answer a few questions about my first Avonex experience. I had to rate the Avonex related misery on a scale of 0-10, 0 being no problem and 10 being the worst imaginable. Soon after she gave me the run down on the rating system, she had to briefly take another call. When she returned, she immediately began to ask me to rate from 0-10 certain side effects of the Avonex. I most often gave her zeros with an occasional 1 or 2 thrown in, the 2 being the rating for exhaustion, which I honestly think was as much about my husband and I spending the weekend in NY state celebrating our anniversary as it was about the Avonex, but I had to let them have at least 1 side effect. (We spent the weekend at a ski resort in Findley Lake, NY, returned home on Sunday night and then left for the clinic Monday morning. I had a fair amount of blood siphoned out of me over a 15 hour period and didn't sleep very well, so you decide. Was it the Avonex or was it just life that made me tired? After this week's injection I had no apparent exhaustion at all. )

As I began to answer her rating questions, she started to laugh. I said, you think I don't understand the rating scale don't you? But I do. She laughed again and said that I had told her I was "opposite lady" and that honestly, she hadn't really believed me. She believes me now!

I told her to give the dancing neuro a message for me..."I told you so!"

No comments: