Thursday, December 06, 2007

I Feel Things...

There are days when I don't feel great, for whatever reason...but I make a conscientious choice not to acknowledge it. I choose to say "I am fine", even when I feel less than fine... Even when I feel like I will break if I have to spend one more sleepless night wondering where this will all eventually take me. I say I am fine when I feel like an elephant is sitting on my head. I say I am fine, even when I have to struggle to make my left leg keep up with my right. I say I am fine, even as my face is tingling with numbness. I say I am fine, even when I get that weird choking sort of feeling in my throat. I say I am fine because I don't want to be THAT person who wallows. I don't want to be the person who no one wants to talk to because they will once again have to hear how lousy they feel.

There are things. Things I feel, but never say.

I work very hard to stay in an emotionally happy place. I can't change this. It just is. I wish it weren't, but it is. I wish I could get excited about seeing my family who lives 600 miles away without wondering if they will be scrutinizing me, looking for tell-tell signs. I wish I could go to a family reunion without people saying "You look good" which really means "you look good for someone who was diagnosed with a lifelong disease". I wish I could spend an entire day playing with my art on the computer, bringing a faerie or an angel to life without physically paying dearly for sitting there. There are a million other things I wish, that I won't say out loud.

I have MS. I have no choice about it and the only choice I have in regards to its progression, is to put my faith in the drug company. I don't have the option of simply making lifestyle choices that could possibly have a huge impact on my disease. I can only hope and pray that it doesn't have its brutal way with me. I have no real control over it. I just have to hope the Avonex keeps it at bay.

I feel things...Things I NEVER say out loud.


(Even though diet isn't a major factor for MS, a good diet and exercise certainly won't hurt!)

No comments: