Sunday, December 31, 2006

Finally Off To Cleveland

Christmas has come and gone, and 2007 is literally right around the corner. On New Year's Day we head for Cleveland where we will stay in a hotel overnight so that we don't have to rush around on Tuesday morning to be at my appointment at the Cleveland Mellen Center. I have waited three months for this appointment. I have basically been hibernating since Christmas, going out only to take my daughter to the airport for her trip to London and Paris and to go to the She-Neuro on Thursday. I have been trying to avoid the terrible stomach flu that has been running rampant in our area.

The She-Neuro is really growing on me. She has a very calming effect, is a good listener and has a pretty good sense of humor, something you need to help you get through the bad MS days.

I have had a less than wonderful last four days, having had my MS weird head as well as the facial numbness that started during my IV steroid adventure. Finally, today when I woke up the headache was only a faint whisper, although I am still getting the tingling in my face. The numbness in my neck and face seems to be worse when I sit vertically, which is not a good thing when you are someone who sits at the computer and edits photos nearly every day. Lying or standing gives me some relief so I have to get up and down a lot when I am trying to work at the computer.

I knew I felt better today when I awoke and didn't mind getting up out of the bed. I am a morning person. I love morning. I look forward to getting up each and every day, and for me to sleep past 8:00 is a very rare thing. During the past four days I have had to absolutely make myself get up. AND THE CRYING...for goodness sake...I don't cry and when I am having one of these recurring episodes I cry at the drop of a hat. I still haven't become used to THAT! It is just weird.

I fear I am going to have a tough time of it with this lesion on my spine. Whenever anyone hears that you have one on your spine they give you that "Oh You Poor Thing" look. I try not to think about it, but especially since I now have to deal with this weird squishy head thing and facial numbness I am truly afraid that I am going to wake up one day and really be a mess. Fear is a horrible thing. Emotional junk really stirs up the MS so it becomes a vicious circle. The fear and worrying only cause it to act up more, but the acting up causes much fear and worry. So you see, it is not an easy thing being diagnosed with MS. I recently read somewhere that "You don't GET MS until you get MS." It is a very true statement.

Wish me luck at the Mellen Center.

No comments: