Sunday, September 03, 2006

It Starts

It's amazing how quickly your entire world can change. You wake up one day and realize nothing will ever be the same.

Friday, Sept. 1, 2006 began as any other ordinary day. I am an early riser and this day was no exception. I had a maternity shoot scheduled for the day. By 7:30 I had picked up my son's girlfriend Nicole who was going to help me with the shoot and we were already loading equipment into my car. Before 9:00 my legs began to feel weak, sort of like rubber bands and I decided it was probably because I had not eaten anything. Over the course of maybe a year my body has really started fussing at me when I don't eat, giving way to wobbly legs and breaking out in a sweat. Even my mental sharpness would sometimes fade until I took the time to eat.

On this particular Friday I assumed that I just needed to eat. My photo shoots are very physical, especially if I use my portable pseudo-studio. I have to load, transport and set up a tent, climb up and down to hang backdrops and set up any props that I am going to use. Add to that the physical aspect of the shoot itself and I get a real workout. I am not much of a tripod user. I am standing on ladders, crawling on the floor...whatever it takes to get the shot I want.

As the day moved forward I just didn't seem to be able to hit my stride. Every shot was an effort. I live and breathe for these shoots and this day it was all such a struggle. By mid-afternoon I decided that I must need to eat again because my legs had not returned to normal. I took a quick break and gobbled down a pack of crackers and a drink. Eventually. I finished the shoot. Nicole and I loaded all the equipment back into my car and headed home. Fortunately my son Joe and Nicole were able to help me unload the car when I arrived home. I took about an hours break and then had to drive the 40 miles to Kent State to get my daughter and then the 40 miles back home.

Later in the evening I went to the basement to take a shower and on the way back upstairs I repeatedly banged my left big toe on the risers to the stairs. I can remember thinking I was an idiot but didn't think much more about it. I realized that I was tired. It had been a tough day. At bedtime I struggled to climb the stairs and after crawling into bed I realized that something strange was going on with my right leg. I could feel it if I brushed it lightly, but I couldn't feel pain if I stuck my fingernail in it. I told my husband about it a few minutes later when he came to bed. We both thought I had possibly aggravated my back while moving equipment that day and we went to sleep none the wiser.

Thus began my journey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear carfi, I have read from end to begin backwards, just finishing all your posts to your jpurney with MS. I salute you for how you are handling this, and sometimes through my trickled tears on tears I blurted out laghter when you slid in unexpected humor. You are one hellova woman facing much with a remarkable attitude. Godspeed to you and I will keep checking in with you daily here. And tell Joseph I love that he loves you as you love him and for being your hero and for walking this path with you, I am grateful you have him by your side. By the way, I don't sleep well either so anytime you need corn pops during the night, grab a bowl, email me an I'll fill a bowl and we chit chat.

Anonymous said...

Well I do know my friends name is Cari not carfi, sorry Cari. That's I what I get for not proofing my comment.